Small Groups: Summer 2022
Small groups join together for the summer!
1 book – 3 months – 3 conversations
Christianity After Religion: The End of Church and the Birth of a New Spiritual Awakening by Diana Butler Bass
One book, reading and learning together: When Diana Butler Bass wrote this book in 2012, many of us may have thought her questions and observations were a little “out there”. Now, in 2022 a decade later, we can see clearly that her careful study of the past 50 years of religious expression provides a clearer view of the reality in which we now live and practice our faith.
Christianity After Religion provides language and context for us to explore the awakening we are experiencing in religious expression in our culture, our church and ourselves. The book is divided into 3 parts, which we’ll use to pace ourselves through our reading and the conversations we will have over the summer. We’ll meet on campus, after worship on the last Sunday of each month. Everyone is welcome to join in!
- June – Read The Beginning and Part 1; meet Sunday, June 26 11:30-1PM in Calvin Center
- July – Read Part 2; meet Sunday, July 31 11:30-1PM in Calvin Center
- August – Read Part 3; meet Sunday, August 28 11:30-1PM in Calvin Center
There is no need to register to join in the discussion. Just show up – and bring your own lunch or snack if you like. If summer is all about vacation for you and you prefer to read on your own, this book will provide insight and challenge your imagination about what’s next for church overall and for us here at FHPC.
Ready to read & discuss?
- Purchase your book through your favorite bookseller
- Download the conversation guide
- Start reading and may the Spirit open our hearts and minds
Not quite ready to jump in? Take a look…are you intrigued? Are you uncomfortable? This book and these discussions are for you.
- this video where Diana Butler Bass (DBB) introduces major themes of this book and answers questions
- another video conversation between DBB and Rev. Dr. Welton Gaddy from the Interfaith Alliance
- a reflection from DBB, 10 years after writing this book (+ 3 others)
I’d like to join a Small Group
Though registration IS NOT required to join the discussion, please fill out the form if you’d like an occasional reminder to keep you on pace with your reading and the timing of our discussion sessions during this summer.